The 82nd Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is just around the corner, and motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the world are getting ready to descend on the small town of Sturgis, South Dakota. If you’re heading to Sturgis, like we are, you may be wondering what you should expect. One thing’s for sure, is that there will be a ton of partying and obviously motorcycles.
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally History
This annual event, which is expected to attract over 700,000 people this year, is the largest motorcycle rally in the United States. It started back in 1938, by a group of Indian Motorcycle riders, originally hosted for just stunts and races. The first event was named Black Hills Motor Classic, and was created by Clarence ‘Pappy’ Hoel—founder of the iconic Jackpine Gypsies motorcycle group.
Since then, the rally has grown exponentially, and now includes live music, vendors and a whole host of other fun and wild activities. Thousands of riders and motorcycle enthusiasts flock from all over the world to attend this special event.
Not only is this event so historical and surrounded by treasured landmarks such as Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and Devil’s Tower Monument, but it holds a huge impact for the state of South Dakota. The rally brings in an estimated $800 million annually, for the state of South Dakota. It’s safe to say that this event represents more than just motorcycles and fun, but is very valuable to more than just the powersports community.
What To Expect At This Year’s Sturgis Rally
This year’s Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is shaping up to be one of the best ever. With over 1,000 vendors and attractions, there is something for everyone. From live music, parties, entertainment, shopping and dining, the Sturgis Rally has it all. And of course, there will be plenty of motorcycles on display and for sale. Whether you’re a seasoned rider or a first-time visitor, the Sturgis Rally is sure to be a memorable experience.
Here are some of the most anticipated events going on this year:
- Cardo/RumbleOn Party
- Concerts All Week: Lynryd Skynyrd, The Art Of Rap and Rob Zombie, to name a few
- Buffalo Chip Rally Kickoff
- Evo Bike Show
More events will be happening throughout the Rally’s duration, you can find more information here.
What RumbleOn Is Bringing To The Party
As the Official Powersports Sponsor of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally®, RumbleOn is bringing plenty to the party. We’re having a live DJ every day of the event (5th-14th), $3 beer, food trucks, our famous Rumble Rally Girls and more!
With our new acquisition of RideNow Powersports, we’re even bringing the Grand Opening of RideNow Powersports Sturgis. This location will feature some of the best bikes and prices, you don’t want to miss. Located at 6th and Lazelle in Sturgis, SD.
We’re also hosting Carey Hart for his official ride party, in collaboration with Cardo, on August 6th. On August 7th, RumbleOn is hosting the inaugural First Sunday in Sturgis Bike Show with help from Twin Visionary.
Tips For Your First Time At Sturgis
- Main Street has free parking all week, and there will be plenty of free parking throughout the town as well.
- Best rates to stay are around 45 min away—giving you plenty of bends to ride on.
- If you’re over 18, you don’t need to wear your helmet in Sturgis
- Most national monuments entry fees will cost you around $5-$15 bucks to enter
- Police in surrounding areas around Sturgis are ready to give tickets and citations to those who may be drunk driving, speeding or anything they see fit. So try and stay right on the speed limit.
- Don’t miss out on some of the best bends, twisties and stretches of open road: Visit Iron Mountain Road, Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon and Needles Highway.
- There’s gonna be a lot of drinking, so maybe not the best place to bring your kids.
- Speaking of drinking, it’s going to be hot. So hydrate and keep cool. Here are some more tips for your next motorcycle tour!
This year's event is sure to be even more popular than ever, so if you're looking for a great time and an opportunity to show off your motorcycle, this is the place to be. Don’t miss out on all the fun, the action and the party.
Note: RumbleOn is an Amazon Affiliate, dedicated to reviewing the best and safest gear and more, for riders everywhere. We may receive commissions if products are purchased from them.Sell your motorcycle for cash - cash offer in minutes