Review of the 2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 X RC Turbo R
Can-Am is more than a brand, it’s a lifestyle, and the all-terrain vehicles this Canadian-born company produces are, without a doubt, life-changing. See why here.
I’m not an expert in many things, but I consider off-roading a specialty. That said, the 2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 X RC Turbo is the cream of the off-roading crop; I’d be willing to stake a whole month’s worth of laundry on it.
According to ATV.com, the highly intuitive X3 RC Turbo is one of two sport UTVs designed by Can-Am specifically for rock crawling and other demanding terrain. It’s a bona fide cliff-hanger, all right, and it doesn’t skip a single beat.
Built to assuage “rock hounds’ passion and budgets,” the X3 RC Turbo, according to BRP, features a new industry-exclusive front differential system with Smart-Lok technology, which offers “unrivaled surefootedness.” Unfamiliar with Can-Am’s Smart-Lok tech? It helps riders achieve maximum grip—without losing momentum—by instantaneously gathering multiple data inputs (engine torque, vehicle speed, wheel RPM, and steering feedbacks, to name a few).
Video Source: CAN-AM OFF-ROAD YouTube
Moving on to other qualities that make the RC Turbo an industry-leading machine, it features four driving modes, a 102-inch wheelbase, as well as 15 inches of ground clearance, all of which contribute to its poise and power on tricky surfaces. The ROCK and TRAIL presets are designed to further enhance the off-road experience by offering a more customized feel during various riding conditions, and EBS at all four wheels provides the utmost control on steep descents. Plus, the unique four-point seat belts ensure you’ll stay put when the going gets tough.
Overall, anyone who has an interest in aggressive trail riding will up their game tremendously with a vehicle like the 2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 X RC Turbo R in tow.
Can-Am Maverick Specs
- Engine Type 900cc Turbocharged Triple
- Fuel Delivery Intelligent Throttle Control (iTC™) with Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
- Transmission Quick Response System X (QRS-X) CVT with high airflow, L/H/N/R/P
- Bore x stroke 74mm x 67.9mm (3)
- Compression ratio 9.1:1
- Final Drive Lockable front differential with exclusive Smart-Lok technology. True 4
modes traction system: 2WD / 4WD with front diff. lock / 4WD ROCK / 4WD TRAIL
- Power Steering High torque Tri-Mode Dynamic Power Steering
- Front Suspension Trophy truck inspired double-arched A-arm with sway bar / 22-in.
(55.9 cm) travel
- Front Shocks FOX 2.5 PODIUM RC2 Piggyback with bypass, dual speed compression
and rebound adjustments
- Rear Suspension 4-link Torsional Trailing-arm X (TTX) with sway bar and arched lower links, 24-in (61 cm) travel
- Rear Shocks FOX 3.0 PODIUM RC2 remote reservoir with bypass, dual speed compression and rebound adjustments
- Front Brakes Dual 262 mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes Dual 248 mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers
- Front Tires Maxxis Liberty 30 x 10 x 14 in.
- Rear Tires Maxxis Liberty 30 x 10 x 14 in.
- L x W x H 133 in. x 72 in. x 67 in.
- Wheelbase 102 in.
- Ground Clearance 15.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity 10.5 gal
- Dry Weight 1,751 lbs
- Rack Capacity 200 lb
- Towing Capacity 1,500 lb
Video Source: Brandon Pierce YouTube
What the Can-Am Maverick is…
- A real Vini-Vidi-Vici ride
- Precision, power, and control personified
- Every thrill-seeker’s four-wheel dream come true
What it isn’t...
- For the faint of heart—you need guts to ride this thing
- A one-and-done investment; you’ll be hooked from the start (pun not intended)
- Compact. The RC Turbo will need a substantial piece of real estate when it’s not in use
Note: RumbleOn is an Amazon Affiliate, dedicated to reviewing the best and safest gear and more, for riders everywhere. We may receive commissions if products are purchased from them.